Friday, November 18, 2005

I'm now a US Permanent Resident

After what seemed like an eternity, Jay and I finally had our greencard interview yesterday where upon were were supposed to convince the Homeland Security officer that we were indeed married to each other and that we were not married merely for myself to procure a greencard and enter the US.

In spite of the fact that we forgot to bring any photos of each other together and that we also forgot to bring anything like Life Insurance policies to show that we had each other on our policies, the officer deemed us married enough.

I am now a US Permanent Resident! The officer told us that the US does not recognize dual citizenships but then he also mentioned that the US can only make you renounce your Canadian citizenship but they cannot make you give up your Canadian passport. Also, in Canada, since I was born there, I will always have citizenship. I would just have 2 passports and use each one depending on where I am. In the US, I would use the US passport. If I were to visit Canada, I would use the Canadian passport. Neat little loophole.

I'm can apply for my US citizenship 3 years from yesterday. Right now, my greencard is good for 10 years so I've got some time to decide what I want to do. The only downside to not applying for the US citizenship is that I cannot vote and I cannot be out of the country for more than a year.

So long story short, I now have my greencard. It took a long time, but not as long as I've heard for other people from other countries. The officer was telling us crazy stories of people in the Philippines waiting 22 years for their greencards.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the green card! At least that opens up some other options for you (wink, wink) if you want them.

Now it's just countdown 'til the baby comes and your life is completely changed forever...brace yourself!

Anonymous said...

Aaah.. we still have 10 years of hope that you will return to Canada!!

congrats :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! We were nervous that you wouldn't make it home in time! We miss you already!!!